Friday, June 19, 2020

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 24: A Special Job

Episode 24: A Special Job
"Audrey?" I heard Matthew's weak voice call out to me. He stared up at me from bed. "Everything ok?"

"Yeah."

I looked over my shoulder and flashed him a reassuring smile. I nodded and went back gathering more clothes. He watched me fold them and put them in a small pile. T-shirts, blouses, pants, jeans. An array of choices to choose from.
"Who's are those for?"

I paused and cut my eye at the door. I knew she was out there waiting for me. Listening. Maybe even watching through the crack.

"It's for Gemma. Our new housemate."

He narrowed his eyes. "The redhead?"

"Yes."

He reached out his hand to me and I came closer. He pulled me towards him and whispered, "Be careful."
I nodded and glanced back at the door. The more time I took, the more she had time alone to do who knows what but I knew she wasn't stupid. She had got what she wanted. A golden ticket to infiltrate this house. She would just watch and listen for now. I hurried towards the door and spotted my katana leaning up against the wall next to the door. It had been sitting there since I had last slept in this room. I grabbed it, revealed it's blade, and yanked the door open.
As I expected, she was standing there eavesdropping with her ear to the door. She jumped backward and screamed in surprise. She looked down at my katana as the blade of it was inches away from her torso. A look of shock and wonder on her pale freckled face.

"What is that?" she gasped.

"My katana," I said still brandishing my weapon. "Come on let's go."

"No. Wait. What's a katana?"

I lowered my sword and rolled my eyes. "A Japanese sword."

"Oh. Interesting. Who's that in there? Is that...?" she started, but I knew what she was about to ask and I didn't give her a chance. I poked her lightly with the sharp tip of my blade interrupting her. "Ow!"

"You can change your clothes in the bathroom. I'll show you."
I pushed her forward and dug the tip of my weapon into her back. She quickly followed my lead. I placed the clothes in her arms and ordered her to change. She entered into the bathroom begrudgingly. She started to pull the door close, but I stopped her.

"Keep the door cracked," I barked.

She frowned. "I would like some privacy."

"Well, sorry. That's not going to happen. I'm a woman just like you anyway, so no need to feel uncomfortable."

She groaned loudly looking even more annoyed but followed orders. She looked the clothes over. She picked through clothes much like a messy teenager and threw any clothes she didn't like to the side on the floor to my displeasure.

"Hey!" I cried staring at the cleaned garments. "Don't just throw them like that!"

"Oh, sorry," she said dryly. She then proceeded to throw any others she found undesirable at me. A muffled scream escaped my lips as a shirt and a pair of jeans hit me in the face.
I could have sworn I heard her laugh, but she apologized again. "Sorry about that."

I pulled the clothes off my face just in time to see her put on a pair of pants under her dress. She also seemed to have picked out a shirt as she grasped it in one hand. She looked over at me as she studied the shirt again and glared at me. She then proceeded to pull the dress over her head. I looked away hoping to escape an eye full. When I looked back I was sure she was dressed, but she stood there shirtless covering her boobs. A menacing look on her face.

"What are you doing?" I asked half annoyed and half confused.

"I need to wash up," she hissed.
Then without warning, she slammed the door shut and I heard the lock click. The sound of rushing water followed. For a second I stared at the door in disbelief. She had caught me off guard completely, but I shook it off and began pounding on the door. I screamed her name over and over again. I even try to push it open with all my might, but it was no use.

"Gemma! Gemma! Open the door!!!"

I heard the door across the hall from me open and Nathan suddenly appeared at my side. He looked angry. "Is she in there?"

"Yes."

He pounded on the door and yelled, "Open this door! Open it now or I'm going kick it in!"

This seemed to do the trick and the door swung open immediately. She was fully dressed. Her bloody white dress replaced with a billowing salmon pink blouse and loose-fitting pants. Her frown replaced with a smile. She laughed. "Calm down."

"Calm down?!" I fumed. "I said crack the door! Not close it and lock it!"

"I just wanted a little privacy. I couldn't go around with clean clothes and blood all over my body could I?"

"You... you...!"

"You weren't supposed to close this door. I don't care if you have maggots all over you, you do what you're told. Rather if she's in charge or I'm in charge," he roared. He pointed his finger at her. "Either you follow the rules or get out!"
She was speechless. I was speechless. I don't think I've ever seen him that mad before. From what I gathered he was supposed to be the calmer twin. He looked over at me and soften his expression. "You ok?"

"Um...yes. Thank you," I said quietly.

He looked back at her and then from where he came from. Aaron's room. The doctor stood in the doorway watching the scene play out with concern.

"I'll be downstairs if you need me," he said looking at me and then at Aaron. He looked down shyly. "Just yell or something."
He hurried downstairs leaving me and the doctor alone with the redhead. While the awkwardness didn't dissipate, it was a convenient situation for me. The next stop on my prisoner's to-do list was a checkup with the doc. I grabbed her arm and pushed her towards him.

"Um... Madison wanted...," I started.

"I'm already aware, Ms. Anderson," he said sounding less than pleased. "Come in Ms. Ryan."

We both entered and Gemma was instructed to sit down on the couch. I stood by watching her. The anger and embarrassment of moments before still simmering within me. If I could just say "no" some days. "No, I will not watch Gemma." Ugh.

I watched Aaron examining the redhead. He seemed to be doing an honest examination much like he did with me. Checking her pulse, studying her eyes with a light, and the usual things doctors do. Despite everything, he seemed to take his job seriously.

"Say ah," he mumbled sticking a popsicle stick in her mouth. He inspected inside. When he was done, he threw it across the room towards the trashcan and missed by inches. He then felt her head. "Well, you seem healthy. No fever. If you were bit, it would be evident by now. You are a bit on the skinny side, but overall you seem quite healthy."
"Ah, what a relief," she gleamed.

"Yes," he said clearing his throat. "So you say you're pregnant? How sure of you of that?"

"Very sure. I'm definitely pregnant."

"How many weeks?"

"I don't know, but I know," she said winking. "Trust me."

Aaron furrowed his brow. "Well, I'm going to have to take your word for it. Would you mind being subject to a pregnancy test eventually?"

"Um...yeah," she said hesitantly.

He pointed to her stomach. "May I?"

She nodded her head yes and he felt her stomach. She cringed uncomfortably as he prodded and pressed on it. She then recoiled. "That's enough!"
"I'm sorry. My apologies, Ms. Ryan," he said quickly.

"Whatever," she scowled. "Are you done?"

"Are you experiencing fatigue or nausea?"

"What?! No."

"Are you experiencing breast tenderness?"

"No. What are you? Some type of pervert?" she spat reaching peak annoyance.

"No. I'm a doctor," he said bluntly. "I think we're done here. Audrey..."

"Yeah, yeah. I got her," I sighed. "Gemma. Downstairs."

Next on the agenda, the last on the list. Hand her off to Madison downstairs and be done with her for the evening. At least till they pawned her off on me again. Lucky how I happened to be the one other able female Gemma hadn't grown to detest yet. We headed downstairs and into the dining room where Madison stood waiting.

"How things go?" she said eyeing Gemma. "No problems?"

I shrugged. "Not really. Well, she did lock herself in the bathroom."

"What?!"

"I wanted some privacy," Gemma snarled. "That's all."

"You're don't get privacy here. You..."
"Madison!" Wade shouted entering the room with a tray of food. He smiled at Gemma. "Let's try to be polite to our new housemate."

"But..."

"Gemma is one of us now. Remember?" Wade said winking at Madison. "She's entitled to a little privacy. She's also entitled to a little lunch."

"Oh, is that for me?" Gemma squealed.

"Yes. Mr. Jones was saving this for a special occasion in the back of the fridge and he considers this a special occasion. Now have a seat and eat up."
Madison scoffed. "We have a food shortage and you’re wasting food on her? She’s also on probation as well, so she’s not entitled to anything yet. DJ explained that much. Remember?"

The two of them stared each other down before turning their attention back to Gemma. The woman had sat down in front of the large tray of food and was stuffing her face as if she hadn't eaten in days. Her jaws full. Her face a mess. Madison gawked at the sight of her and even Wade stared.

She stopped and looked up seemingly noticing she was the center of attention now. She swallowed the contents in her mouth and grinned. "Uh...sorry. I was starving."
She went back to filling her face and the three of us looked away in disgust.

I shook my head. "Well, what now?"

"Well, Wade will stay here with his little girlfriend and we adults are going upstairs."

"Ha. Ha. You're so funny. Not!" he said rolling his eyes. "I'll keep my eye on her. Just fill me in later."

So we took our leave and headed back upstairs. She approached Lin’s room and knocked on the door. Tao answered and she gestured for him to come here quietly. He did and he seemed surprised to see me waiting in the hall. He straightened his posture immediately and smiled from ear to ear just from the sight of me. Something he often did when he wasn't staring at me from afar creepily.
"You didn’t tell me Audrey was here too,” he said. He smoothed back his hair. "So um..whatsup? You need something?"

"I need you and Audrey for a special job."

"Special job?" I perplexed.

"Yeah. I need you two to spy on Gemma. Follow her around. See what you can find out."

"But why us?"

Well, why not?" Madison smirked. "You're the most stealthy in the house. Tao is good at pick-pocketing and stealing. You're quiet and smart. Seems like a good combination."

"Sounds like a good team to me coach," Tao beamed. He could hardly contain himself. He stepped closer to me and put his arm around me. "We’ll be a super spy team."
Madison chuckled. "Well, I guess something like that. All I ask is that you keep this to yourselves."

"But why?" I asked ignoring Tao and pushing his arm off of me.

"Because Vince and Lin would flip their lids if they got word. Just keep this under wraps for now."

"Sure thing boss," Tao exclaimed.

I nodded. "Yeah fine."

"Well, then that's it. Report to me if you see something or hear anything."

She saluted us and went downstairs. The two of us stood in silence. Tao nervously fidgeted in place.

"So.."

"Well, I..uh," he stuttered. "We should do this in shifts. I'll take the night shift. You take the day shift."

I shrugged. "If you want. Doesn't matter to me."

"Cool. So super spy team is a go am I right?" he said sticking out his hand.

I shook it reluctantly and sighed. "Just try to stay out of my...er...stay out of each other's way. Got it?"
"For sure! This is gonna be dope!"

Previous Episode
Sorry for taking so long. Writer’s block keeps trying to sabotage me. I’m also trying not to speed into the crazy that’s about to go down. I’m so excited to get to the action that I have to make myself reign things in. xD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative