Monday, April 20, 2020

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 22: Take Charge (Part 2)

Episode 22: Take Charge (Part 2)
Madison met me at the front door as I stood outside on the porch with Gemma. She had a sleeping bag under her left arm and a lantern in her right. I took the lantern first and she pushed the sleeping bag into my arms. She then leaned in and whispered, "Be careful with her."

"Huh? I'll make sure she's fine."

"No. I mean she's sneaky."

“Well, did you check her for weapons then?”

“Of course. Speaking of that.”

She turned around and grabbed something else from inside. A shotgun. I sat the sleeping bag and lantern down. She then placed the weapon into my arms much like the sleeping bag and leaned in again whispering. "Don't tell her anything."

"I won't."

"I mean nothing and if she tries anything I want you to shoot."

I nodded and she seemed satisfied with this. She smiled and patted me on the shoulder. She then took one last glance at Gemma. Her eyes narrowing on her as the woman gazed up at the sky seemingly oblivious to her stares. She then looked away and sighed shutting the door. This left me alone with Gemma now. An uneasy feeling falling over me as she seemed to notice too that we were alone.
I brandished my weapon and she simply stood there smiling eerily at me. I threw her the bag and I sat down on the bench. Shotgun on my lap. I then rolled my eyes and barked, "Go to sleep."

"Sleep here? On the porch? On the floor?"

"Yeah. You got a sleeping bag. More than I had some days."

"Can I sleep on the bench?"

"No. I'm sitting here."

"You can scoot over."

"No. I can't and I won't. Stop whining."

She pouted, but plop down on to the floor next to the sleeping bag. Her eyes still trained on me. I glared at her, but she seemed unfazed.
"So you're Nathan?"

"Yeah."

"Is this Mr. Jones' house?"

I ignored her. Madison words repeating in my head.

"Well, I think it's obvious it's his. Such a lovely home," she said smiling."

"Yeah. Lovely."

"So is that short hair woman...um... Madison... Is she in charge? Is she your leader?"

"That's none of your business."

"Well, I would be careful with her. She seems unhinged."

I chuckled. "Maybe to you."

"I'm just saying if she's your leader, she's not a very good choice. You know what they say. Leave a boiling pot unattended for too long and it’s fit to boil over eventually.”

"I never heard of that. What the hell are you getting at?"

"She's letting her emotions get the best of her. Did you see how she carried herself in the kitchen with me? That boy with the braids had to restrain her before you came in. If she continues to unravel like that, I'm afraid she may turn on you."

I scoffed. "You don't know Madison. You don't know her at all."

"Do you? How long have you known her? Years? Months?"

The word "months" was emphasized more than I liked and the amused expression on her face irritated me. I shot her a look, but she seemed delighted with herself. Nothing seemed to bother her.

"Hey. I'm on your side," she winked. "Just looking out for you."

"I don't need you to look out for me."
"I'm sorry. Maybe I've said too much. I guess I just like rooting for the underdog is all. Helping the unfortunate."

"Underdog? Unfortunate?"

"I don't know. They don't seem to have the utmost confidence in you. Even you said yourself you're not very reliable. I just assumed your the resident or I should say Madison's whipping boy. Hate to be that woman's anything personally with how she carries herself..."

"You should unwrap your bag and go to sleep."

"Sleep? I'm not even tired."

"You should be," I snapped.

She cocked her head. "Aw, did I hit a wee sore spot? I was just saying be careful is all. Keep your wits about you."

"Go to sleep."

She then suddenly looked serious. "Ah. I just remember something. Those people who came in. The hurt ones. I was wondering about them. Are they ok?"

"That's none of your concern."

"One of them. The blond man. He looked a lot like you. Is he ok? He looked really bad. Did he make it?"

"I said that's none of your concern," I seethed as I felt my patience wearing thin.

"How many people really live here?"

"Like I would tell you."

"I'm just curious."

"Didn't anyone tell you curiosity killed the cat?"
"Well, I practically met everyone anyways. Hmm... let's see," she said sounding almost menacing. "I met Madison, Audrey, Mr. Jones, Wade, and that doctor fellow. What's his name? Oh, Aaron. Then I saw a nice Asian boy, that boy with the braids, and an elderly black man. Their names escape me. Then those poor hurt people came in. I saw a foreign fellow, an Asian woman on a makeshift gurney, and your lookalike..."

"Stop! Stop it."

"What? Is something wrong?"

I smirked. "I'm not stupid. I know what you're doing. You're counting us up."

"I'm doing nothing of the sorts. Just thinking out loud. I hope to meet that brother of yours."

I gasped. "What?"

"Well he looks so much like you," she giggled. She narrowed her eyes at me. "Whoever he is to you I hope to meet him."

I shivered. Something about how she said it sent chills down my spine. It was creepy. Unsettling. I stared at her. She stared back. A grin spreading across her face. She slowly rose to feet and I grasped my shotgun. She walked towards me and I aimed at her. This didn't deter her. She flung herself on the bench before I could even decide if I should shoot or not. Her face inches away from mine. I was afraid. I wondered if I should have just shot, but shooting a living breathing human being was another thing. She placed her hand on my face. I recoiled.

"What are you doing?" I spluttered.

"You remind me of my boyfriend so much. Blond. Buff. Good looking. Could be brothers," she cooed touching my face again. Her other hand on my lap inching towards the shotgun. I snatched her hand off my face and held it up away from me. She looked up and blushed. "I'm sorry."

"Get away from me!"

She scowled. "Let go of my hand then."

I dropped it and she placed both hands on her lap. Still sitting. Still too close for comfort. I aimed the gun at her.

"Get back over there and unwrap your sleeping bag. Now!"

"I thought you might be the leader when I first saw you. You have that look. Strong. Seemingly smart. I guess I was wrong," she said coldly. "You're nothing like him."

She got up and kneeled down over her sleeping bag. She unwrapped it and to my relief, she climbed in. She took one last look at me and closed her eyes.
I sat there in disbelief trying to make sense of what just happened. I stared at her for who knows how long. Waiting for any sudden movements.
Waiting for her to attack. My hands still clutching the shotgun too tight for comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative