Sunday, April 12, 2020

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 22: Take Charge (Part 1)

Episode 22: Take Charge (Part 1)
Warning: Strong language and nudity.
Note: Also starts with a flashback.

"Good morning. About time you woke up," she said climbing out of bed. Her taut little ass enticing me. If I hadn't been so damn groggy, I would have grabbed her by the waist and pulled her back into the bed for a morning romp. Maybe she would have obliged. Maybe she would have just punched me. Lin was fickle in that way, but I liked it that way. "What the hell are you looking at? Get your ass up!"
"Bring your ass over here and maybe I'll 'get up," I flirted.

"No. I'm serious. Your brother just knocked on the door. You're supposed to be going out with him and the guys today."

"Ugh. How the hell he even know I was in here?"

"I bet Madison told him. She probably went looking for you this morning when you were supposed to be on watch. That sister-in-law of yours is nosy as hell."

"She's not my sister-in-law."

"Yet."

"I'll admit Matt's fond of her, but they're not that serious."

"Well, he's fond enough of her to let her go out on missions with him that's for sure. They're a regular old Bonnie and Clyde them two."

"Aw, sounds like someone's jealous."

"It's just that you either have to be Madison Goodwin or have a dick to even get some recognition in this house," she snarled.

"Well, if it makes you feel any better I'm fond of you."

"Errr...thanks I guess."

"Well, how about you come over here and I'll cheer you up," I said suggestively. I sat up and I patted the bed. "Come on. You know you want to."

"No, you idiot. Last night was enough. I feel guilty being in this room enough as is," she said looking around at Grace's old digs. "Omar doesn't even want to sleep in here anymore and we're in here fooling around. How fucked up is that?"

"Pretty fucked up," I cooed as I found the strength to get on my feet. I came up behind her and grabbed her. She elbowed me and I groaned, "Don't be like that."
"You should go."

"I will, but how about a nice shower first? Care to join me?"

"You're doing it again."

"What?"

"You're running away from your responsibilities again."

"Not running. Just taking a jog around the block first and then going," I jested. "Don't worry. Matthew can wait a few extra minutes."

She rolled her eyes, but she let me lead her. I pulled her towards the bathroom and she reluctantly followed. I quickly took off my pants and she carefully removed her underclothes. She almost seemed shy. I stepped into the shower first and she stepped in after me. My lips meeting hers. She then pulled away looking bothered.
"I forgot something. I...I need to go," she said suddenly avoiding my eyes. It would be the last thing she would say to me that morning. She seemed like she was elsewhere or wanted to be anywhere, but here with me. I guess that's why I let her go. I didn't think she would leave to go with Matthew that morning in my place, but I don't think I could have changed her mind. Not in a million years. Not even if I knew the future that morning. She was running towards it and I was running away like I always did.
Well, there was no more running. I was in the thick of it now. I walked down the hallway aimlessly in a daze. Upstairs where chaos had taken hold. I watched Aaron running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to treat the injured. Matthew, Vince, DJ, and Lin. Four of our strongest cut down by some whacked-out group living in a junkyard. If I had been there, would things have been different? No. Probably not, but Lin would still be in one piece. So lost in thought I stopped subconsciously in front of Grace’s room. The very room we had lie together was now her makeshift hospital room. It was almost too poetic.

I took a deep breath and looked in. I don’t know what I expected. See her standing there as always frowning and cursing obscenities at me? I wish. No, it was quite the opposite. She laid in bed. Her leg was anchored on the bedpost by rope with pillows supporting it and she had the most pained expression on her face. Tao sat at her bedside looking solemn. He glanced over at me and a small smile spread across his face, but the warm moment was quickly interrupted. Wade suddenly appeared at the door giving me a fright. His face a mask of anger. He looked at me growling, "You!”
I stuttered. “I...um...”

“This should be you! Not her!” he roared pointing back to her.

“I..I..know. You’re right. I’m really sorry.”

“Sorry? Sorry? You think sorry is going to fix her leg?! Oh, you sorry good for nothing....!”

“Wade!” Lin shouted starling us both. Wade looked back at her and I followed his gaze. She cringed clearly in pain but continued. “Shut the hell up and get over here!”

“But...”

“I said get over here!”

He looked conflicted, but he nodded. He tried to push the door to, but I put my hand in the way. He then glared at me. “She needs her rest.”

I ignored him. “Hey, Lin. I just wanted to check on you and say I’m...”

“Not now, Nathan,” she moaned sounding annoyed. “Later. Now shut the door already!”

Before I could even utter another word, Wade was on it. I moved my hand just in time as he slammed the door in my face. I stood there fuming, but I just rolled my eyes and left feeling defeated. I looked over at Audrey’s room. She and Vince had quickly agreed to offer up the room to my brother. Vince especially, but with his condition, neither I or Madison thought it was a good idea. He was just as hurt, but the guy insisted. So now it was Matthew’s room again. I pushed the door to it and entered already feeling depressed. Seeing Matthew laying there didn’t help. He laid there looking gloomy as Madison and DJ were deep in a heated discussion.
“So he didn’t mention, Gemma? No, mention of a redhead at all?!” Maidson asked sounding frustrated.

DJ shook his head. "No. No mention of her or any redheads. Billy wasn't exactly forthcoming when it came to the other members of his group. Like I said he mentioned their leader Ace, talked about his sister a bit, and copped to knowing Jade. That's it."

“So as long as she didn’t follow us, we’re not in danger? Well, I’m pretty sure we’re in danger right now. Jade probably sent Gemma here to fuck with us for all we know!” Madison scoffed. “Hell, this Billy guy might have sent her. Can we even trust him?!”

“Matthew frowned. “He saved us...”

“So?!”

He then sighed looking pained. “I know you’re frustrated about this Gemma person and you’re probably right about her, but what if you’re wrong.

“I’m not wrong!”

“You got to have some type of proof then.”

"I don't need proof! She’s one of them!" she roared. I jumped out the way as she stomped off to the door. “I’ll prove it to you!”

She slammed the door and stormed off leaving me, DJ, and Matthew in stunned silence.

Matthew shook his head. “Go after her. Please.”

DJ hurried off after her and as I started to follow I felt myself being pulled back. I looked back to see Matthew staring up at me. An earnest, but sadden expression on his face.

“Something wrong?” I asked genuinely concerned.

“I’m going be out of commission for a while. I’m going need you to step up a little more and take charge.”
“Take charge? Isn’t Madison in charge? Well, at least she’s acting like it.”

He chuckled. “I know Madison can be a bit much sometimes, but she knows what she’s doing. It’s just that I know she can’t do it all alone. I certainly can’t. Even when it was just the two of us, I..I was glad to have you around. I may not acted like it all the time, but I did and I still do.”

“Whoa! Hold on! Did you just compliment me?”

“Don’t let it get to your head”, he smirked. “Anyway, I’m just saying no man can do it alone. Me, Lin, and Vince. We can’t be there. That’s going to leave a big hole. I need you to step up. Keep an eye on things for me. Keep an eye on her and the rest. Can you do that?”

“I..I can.”

“Good. Now go after Madison and let me rest. I feel like shit.”

I laughed and nodded. “Sure thing. Feel better, bro”

I gave him a reassuring smile and left him to his rest. His heavy lids watching me as I shut the door. I headed downstairs and into the kitchen. I could hear shouting from the top step. I quickly entered. There Gemma Ryan sat still tied up in the chair. Luther leaned back on the kitchen counter looking downcast while Madison and DJ seemed to be at odds. DJ grabbed her as she lunged at the red-headed stranger.

“Admit it! You’re a vulture!" she roared.

"Huh?" she shrugged looking doe-eyed. "I told you I don't know what you're talking about. A vulture?"

“Madison, please! This isn’t getting us anywhere!” DJ pleaded.

This didn’t deter her. She snatched her hand away from him and shoved her finger into the woman's face. She continued. “Oh, but you do. Ace and Jade told us all about you. The jig is up!"
I wasn't entirely sure, but I thought I saw a hint of shock flash across her face for a moment. She shook her head laughing and shrugged again regaining her composure. "Who? Ace? Jade? I don't know anyone like that."

"You're lying!!!" Madison cried. Her face grew bright red and she looked like she was on the brink of losing it. "I know you're lying. You're a Vulture! Admit it!"

"Madison please," Jones pleaded.
"She needs to go! She can't stay here!"

"I agree. She does need to go," DJ said quietly. "But she can't."

"What?"

"What I’m saying is we need to think this through. Say we kick her out. Then what? She knows we're here. She can just come back. Maybe bring friends next time."

Madison scoffed. "Then what do you propose we do? Keep her here? Welcome her with open arms?"

"No. Discuss it and figure something out. And not in front of her," he frowned gesturing to Gemma.
"Wait. Don't I have a say in this?" she asked innocently.

"No. No, you don't," Madison scowled.

Jones sighed. "Well, I don't know about you but I'm tired. It's been a long day. I would rather discuss this in the morning."

"Morning?! So she's supposed to sit here till morning?" DJ huffed. "I don't even feel comfortable with her in the house after what happened today."

Madison smirked. "Sit her outside then. Chair and all."

Jones shook his head. "Funny, but she can't stay like that all night. Look I understand. She can go outside on the porch if you want, but you gotta untie her at least."

"I'll watch her," I injected. "I’ll stay up all night if you need me to."

Madison furrowed her brow. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I'm sure," I said as I walked over to Gemma. “I think I should be the one to do it. It's the least I can do. I'll stay up and I'll keep watch. Watch for walkers and make sure she stays put."
"Nathan, you don't have to..."

"Look, I know. I'm not reliable, but I got this. It’s time I step up. Besides, you should be with Matthew and DJ should be resting. He might not be hurt like the others, but after today I don’t think he should be pushing himself."

Jones smiled. “Then it’s settled. We’ll talk about this in the morning.”

Part 2 be up soonish and it’s pretty interesting. Another poll coming up for this season too. ;)

P.S. I forgot to take Nathan’s manbun out in the shower. lol Also I’m not a doctor obviously and I have no idea what one would do with a broken leg in the apocalypse. Lin will get a proper cast soon tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative