Sunday, April 14, 2019

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 9: Good Instincts

Episode 9: Good Instincts
(Narrated by Nathan)

“Aaron. Keep up! I’m not going to keep saving your ass!” Matthew yelled back at the doctor trailing behind us. “Aaron?”

We looked back to see the doctor fighting off a walker. He stabbed at it clumsily and it began overpowering him.

“Damnit, Aaron!” Matthew cursed. He ran over to him and swung his ax at the walker with one brutal blow. The walker’s head popped off like a bottle cap and the doctor fell to the ground gasping.

“You’re hopeless,” he spat staring down at Aaron.
“I just freaked out. I can never get used to those bloody things,” he said getting up and straightening his glasses.

“Well, we’re only a few feet away now,” I said cheerfully. “Just stay alert and stay alive.”

The three of us reached the gas station in those few feet without further incident. We immediately saw Madison standing by the entrance. She seemed worried as she crossed her arms and bit her lip.

“What wrong? What he do to you?” Matt blurted out as soon as he saw her face.

“Nothing. Something else happened,” she said frowning at Matt. “But we don’t have time for that. Audrey first and then we talk.”

We got to work quickly filing into the rest stop. Aaron joined Vince on the floor while we all hovered over them.

“Geez, Madison. Did you bash her in the head?!,” Aaron grumbled studying the gash on Audrey’s head.

“It was an accident!” Madison protested.

"Accident or not it looks like she might need stitches.“

"Stitches?” Vince exclaimed. He then began staring at Aaron and sniffing suddenly. “Wait. Are you drunk?”

“Um…do I have to answer that?”

“You brought us a drunk doctor?!”
As Aaron stitched up Audrey, we all gathered in front of the store. Me, Matt, Madison, and Vince. Vince took turns staring daggers at the doctor and back at Matt. Matt glared back at Vince with the same intensity. Madison, on the other hand, seemed to be deep in thought completely bothered. I just stood by curious as to what happened.

“Is it safe for him to be doing stitches?” Vince asked for what seemed like the tenth time.

“I can stitch with my eyes close, Mr. Martez,” Aaron yelled out.

“Just get the job done and shut up,” Matthew snapped. He turned back to us and set his sights on Vince again. “What happened while we were gone? Was it you?”

Madison groaned. “For God sakes, Matt. Me and Vince were perfectly fine. We had a visitor.”

“Visitor? What kind of visitor?” I asked even more curious now.

Vince answered. “Some shady ass bald head chick, named Jade. Stopped by here. She didn’t see me or Audrey thanks to Madison, but she was suspicious. She may come back.”

“And she may bring friends next time. Was on a walkie talkie with someone at least. He sounded pretty shady too,” Madison added.

Matt shrugged. “So?”

“So? It’s not safe here.”

“How do you know that? This Vince guy looks shady, but yet we’re here talking…”

"Said’s the guy who barged in here with a mask,“ Vince huffed.

"What I’m saying is they could be harmless.”

“I have good instincts about these things, Matt. She also said that she has a feeling we’ll see each other again. That I can count on it. It was creepy”, Madison persisted.

“Maybe she was just being friendly.”

“No. You weren’t there, Matt. This sounded like a threat”.
“So what’s that have to do with us? We’re not going to be here.”

“But they are!” she cried pointing at Vince and Audrey’s direction.

“Excuse me,” I heard Aaron quietly injected joining the four of us. “Not to intrude, but maybe they can come with us. I would prefer the young lady over there was under my care and supervision in a more comfortable situation.”

“Perfect solution Aaron,” Madison approved patting him on the back.

“No. It’s not,” Matt frowned.

“She has a concussion and it looks like she’s dehydrated.”

“When the hell you start being a doctor?”

Aaron scowled. “Well, you ask me to. Didn’t you?”

“Have a heart, Matt,” Madison pleaded.

“Then take Audrey…,” Vince said solemnly. “Take her and leave me behind. If that makes you feel better…Matthew.”

“You’re kidding right?” Matt asked genuinely surprised.

“No. I’m being serious. I just want her to be alright. I just want her to be safe,” he said earnestly.

Madison sighed. “Well, that’s a decent proposal.”

“No. It’s not,” Matt disagreed shaking his head. He laughed. “You really know how to make me feel like an asshole.”

“Well, if the shoe fits…,” Vince scowled.

“Likewise, but you coming along with Audrey. I don’t want her waking up and stabbing one of us with that thing when she doesn’t see you’re not there.”

Vince stood there stunned. “Wait. Now you’re kidding right?”

“No, but I can easily change my mind.”

“Oh, you stupid jerk!” burst Madison. She grabbed his face and kissed him on the lips.
She then skipped outside with Matt watching in a daze.

“Um…maybe not,” he said blushing almost in a trance.

“So that car work?” I asked as Vince who seemed to be in his own trance from shock.

“Nah”, he said turning his attention to me. “It still needs some parts. Parts I can’t get myself. There is some gas still here though if you want it.”

“Gas? How much?” Matt piped up still blushing. He turned his face hiding his embarrassment. “We can help get you the parts.”

“Well, there’s plenty. We may need to come back for it though. Since I’m going be carrying Audrey.”

“We’ll make a plan and come back then,” I said eagerly “Now as much as I would like to stand around and talk, I think we should get going. It’s going to be dark soon.”
“Um…can I ask you, boys, something?” Vince asked looking from one to the other. “Where the hell are we going exactly?”

I smiled. “Oh, you’ll see.”

Haha, the lighting in this chapter irritated me. Totally nick-picking. 0_o

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative