Monday, April 8, 2019

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 8: Trust Gotta Start Somewhere (Part 1)

Episode 8: Trust Gotta Start Somewhere (Part 1)
“DJ totally lied. That gas station was freaking far, man!” I said bent over gasping for air.

“No, it wasn’t. You’re just gotten lazier and more out of shape since staying here,” scolded my brother as we reached the Jones’ front gate. “It’s idiotic to get so comfortable in times like this. You would think you learned your lesson by now, but nooo! Not you!”

“Geez, will you lighten up already?! You’ve been picking on me the whole walk here. Give me a break!”

He continued, “It’s also idiotic to be so trusting. I have half a mind to ditch both of you and this suicide mission and go back in the house and take a nice long nap!”
“And I have half a mind you’re full of shit, I said smirking. "I saw your face back there when Vince held that girl in his arms. You know what you’re doing is right, but you just won’t admit it. Am I right? Come on. Admit it.”

“I’ll admit that you’re an idiot. How about that?”

I rolled my eyes at his usual insult and we continued up the driveway towards the house. When we reached the porch, DJ was there to greet us. Sitting on the porch still holding onto his crossbow and chewing bubble gum.

"Sup? Everything went ok. Where’s Madison?” he said eyeing the two of us.

Matthew frowned, “Helping a complete stranger who threatened our lives. No biggie. You’ve seen Aaron?”

Really? She must have seen something in them then. You left her there alone?“

"Yes, because that woman is as stubborn as a mule!”

“Like you?” he teased chuckling. “Anyway, Aaron’s upstairs. He was in the garden, but him and Mr. Omar got to beefing earlier. Had to break it up.”

“What’s new? Not surprised,” Matthew grumbled. “Is he sober?”

“Doubt it,” he frowned. “But want me to go after Madison?”
“No. Keep this under wraps. No one needs to know about any of this. Not yet anyway. If anyone asks, tell them we went back out on a supply run and needed Aaron to confirm something. Well, that’s if Aaron can get out the door on his two feet.”

We then promptly headed upstairs towards the doctor’s quarters. A spare room and study in the Jones’ impressive home. We pushed open the door to the narrow room and there was Dr. Aaron Pinto sprawled out on the couch with a vodka bottle firmly in his right hand.

“I’m not taking any more appointments today,” he slurred in his quaint British accent. “Come back tomorrow when I can see straight.”

“Damnit Pinto are you ever not drunk?” Matthew growled standing over the drunk Brit. “Get your sorry ass up and come on. We need you for something.”
“Ah, Parker brother number one. I told you to come back tomorrow. Tomorrow when I’m not drunk out of my mind,” he giggled. He put the vodka bottle to his mouth and shook it frowning before falling into a fit of giggles again. “All gone.”

Matt swiped at the bottle causing it to sail across the room barely missing me. He grabbed the doctor by the collar shaking him and yelling, “If you don’t get up you’re going need a doctor! Now sober up you piece of shit!”

“Matt. Seriously,” I chided. He let the man go and I bent down next to Aaron resting again on the couch. “Aaron. We need your help. Someone we met on the road got hurt because of us and they need our help. It’s very important we get back there. Those people and Madison are counting on us.”

Aaron rolled over staring directly into my eyes. He seemed to be mulling over my plea. He sighed. “I can’t help you. I’m in no shape to help you and what’s the point? We’re all going die eventually. Why delay the inevitable?”

“But Madison is out there! Waiting for us!” Matt growled.

He shrugged. “Your girlfriend isn’t exempt from fate, Matthews. If you’re so worried why don’t go to her and leave me be?”

“You little…”

“Aaron!” I yelled. “Listen to yourself. You’re a doctor! Extending people’s time on this Earth is what you do!”

He scoffed. “Have you seen outside? Who would want to live in a world like this? Extend lives? Ha!”

“You can’t think like that. You gotta have hope, man. I certainly didn’t save you to sit here and drink yourself to death.”

He pulled out a flask. “I didn’t ask you to save me, Parker. You’re the one who made that mistake. Hope? What a bunch of rubbish.”

“Aaron, please,” I begged.

Suddenly, Matthew raised his hand and slapped Aaron across the face. The sound alone made me jump and the flask went flying up in the air. Aaron’s eyes grew wide and Matthew seethed with anger.

“I’m sick of your bullshit. Stop the constant pity party! "Stop the ‘oh woe is me I’m a terrible doctor,” shit! My brother saved you and you’re going honor that by not being a completely useless piece of shit! So get up, make your self presentable, and follow us! I will not take no for an answer! I’ll drag you there if I have to!“

"Matt…please.”

“No. He’s wasting time.”

“I’ll help get him ready. Just please go outside,” I said wearily trying to gain control of the situation. “Trust me. We will both meet you outside.”

He left hesitantly, but he left to my relief. I looked over at Aaron who seemed to be frozen in place on the couch. I stood over him and he looked up at me with a strange look on his face.

“I’m not going hit you,” I said sitting on the arm of the couch.

“Oh, I’m so grateful,” he slurred rolling his eyes and rubbing his face. “Now you can leave to. Go.”

“No. Look I know you had it rough. If you need to talk…”

“I don’t want to talk. I want you and your brother to leave me alone.”

I sighed. “You may have given up, but I’m not giving up on you or that girl who needs your help. ”

“Well suit yourself. I’m going to sleep,” he mumbled turning over and closing his eyes.

I looked down as my foot made contact with something and spotted a piece of paper. I picked it up. Cursive letters decorated it and I could smell a slight scent of lavender come from it. “What’s this?”

“What’s what, Parker?”

I began reading it out loud. “My Dearest Aaron. How I long for you….?”

I watch the drunken sloth of man raise up from his couch and throw himself towards me reaching for the letter. He was close to retrieving it, but not close enough and I pulled it away rising from my seat.
“Wait. Is this a love letter? From…Alex? Is this from your wife? I remember you saying you were married.”

“No. It’s not from her.”

“Oh!” I said furrowing my brow. “You sly dog. From your mistress? I got you.”

“No. Now give me that letter!”

I smiled. “Nope. I think I’ll keep this. Give it to you when we get where we're going.”

“And where is that, Parker?”

“The gas station. Get your medicine kit.”

He stood up clenching his fist fuming. “This is blackmail!”

“No. Just insurance”, I said winking. “I won’t even read it if you come along. Trust me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative