Monday, October 19, 2020

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 28: Calm Before the Storm

Episode 28: Calm Before the Storm

I was already halfway across the front yard when Vince caught me. My eyes filled with tears. 

I tried to push him away, but he grabbed me into a hug. I bang my fist into his chest, but he didn't budge.

"Get off me!" I cried. Then the floodgates open. I began sobbing into his chest. "You left me. You left..."

"I what?"

"I thought you left. You never came back after last night. After we argued, I waited and I waited.  You never came back. I thought you left me."

He looked down at me and rolled his eyes infuriating me more. I screamed through clench teeth. "You bastard!"

He scoffed. "Why the hell would I leave you over that?"

"Because... because..."

"I wouldn't leave you. It would take a hell of a lot to make me leave. I also wouldn't leave without saying anything, dummy. Now stop crying" he grumbled.

I looked up at him sniffling. I wiped my face with my sleeve. "You sure?"

"Don't get me wrong, you're a pain in the ass sometimes but where am I going? We're a team. Like it or not."

"But I fucked up and I hurt you. I crossed a line and I shouldn't have."

"Yeah. So? I got a bit carried away too."

"But your daughter. I shouldn't have brought her up. I shouldn't have brought up Maya. I'm sorry."

"It's ok."

"But no. It's not," I whimpered. "You were right about everything. I'm a brat and I do need to grow up. I'm also scared shitless. I try to mask it, but sometimes I just want to hide somewhere and cry. Cry about my dad. Cry about how freaking terrifying this is."

"You don't think I'm afraid too?" he moaned. "Jesus! Look, don't sell yourself short. What I said... I shouldn't have said what I said. I'm sorry too."

"It's alright. I needed it."

"Still, I shouldn't try to control you. I guess I'm just scared too," he sighed heavily. He then began looking around panicked and whispered, "But you sure you don't want to leave? We can get your sword back. Pack up our stuff and never look back. Just the two of us back on the road like it was before. Right now if you want."

I looked up at him and furrowed my brow. "Vince are you ok?"

"All I need is your word and we're out of here."

"N..no. We can't just leave," I gasped. "We have friends here...and.. and..."

He sighed. "It's ok. We don't have to."

I looked up to see him still looking troublesome. His eyes darting around as he shuffled on his feet. His now dirty face looking weary. "Vince, are you alright?"

"I'm... I'm alright."

"No, you're not. Where did you go this morning?"

"Huh?"

"DJ told me you went out this morning," I said eyeing him. "You don't look well. You look filthy. Where did you go?"

"I can't tell you."

"What?! Why?"

"I just can't. Not now."

"You disappear all night and half the day and you can't tell me anything?" I stared at him in disbelief, but he seemed too consumed with our surroundings. Still looking around as if someone was listening. I waved my hand in front of his face. "Yo, earth to Vince. You in there?"

He grabbed me by my shoulders and whispered in my ear. "Ok. I went out and got some stuff."

"Stuff? Like supplies?"

"Yes."

"Ok. So where is it?"

"I can't tell you."

"Are you kidding me?!"

"Just know it's safe and waiting in the event we have to leave," he sighed. He glanced over my shoulder. "But the stuff is just the half of it."

"What happened?"

"I can't tell you. Not here."

"Not here?"

"Yeah. Just bear with me."

I eyed him. "Did you bump your head out there or something?"

"No."

"Drunk?"

"No!"

"High?"

"What?! No!" Look, I just need to find somewhere more secure to talk," he grumbled. He grabbed me by my wrist and pulled me over to the group's yellow bus. He peered inside and frowned. 

He then pulled me back around the house. As he did, he seemed to think of something and gasped, "The closet!"

"The what?"

He slapped his forehead. "The closet in Lin's room. Why didn't I think of it?!"

"Are you sure you're not high?"

"We can talk in the closet in Lin's room. They're no windows. No way for anyone to eavesdrop. Not easily at least with Lin laying there. We can talk there tonight."

"We can talk in the closet...?"

"Yes!"

"In the closet?"

"Ok, I know it sounds crazy but yes. I'll tell you everything. You just got level with me. Also, don't tell anyone!" he said quietly. He placed his hands on my shoulder. "Now I got to rest up for tomorrow."

"Rest up? For what?"

He smiled. "What I hope to talk to you about tonight."

"Can you stop speaking in code or whatever you call yourself doing!"

"Just meet me at Lin's room. Nightfall."

"Um...ok."

He laughed and patted me on the back. He then started towards the house leaving me there as I tried to decipher what just happened. He was definitely acting weirder than usual. Why the hell was he being so damn mysterious? Why did he look like hell? And why the hell did he want to meet me in a closet? Just the thought of us in close proximity made me want to puke. He's lucky I don't have my sword. That bastard! I gritted my teeth to keep from screaming, but I couldn't help myself as I watched him climb the porch stairs.

"Vince!!!"

"Don't worry. It'll all make sense soon," he yelled back. He then opened the door and took one last look at me. "And don't be late!"

He slammed the door shut and I stood there for several minutes in a state of utter confusion. Nothing made sense anymore. Not even Vince. I then found myself looking around. I thought about Vince's behavior and how paranoid Madison had been for days. Was someone really watching us? Someone beside Gemma? I heard the bushes rustle and I nearly jumped out of my skin. I looked down at my hands and felt a vulnerability I hadn't felt before. No weapon. Nothing. I high tailed it towards the safety of the porch and stood there looking out into the distance.

Nothing seemed to be amiss. In contrast, it was a welcoming peace compare to the turbulence within the house but something just didn't feel right. “Was this the calm before the storm?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative