Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 21: Uninvited

Episode 21: Uninvited
“Ms. Madison. This is ridiculous!”

“You’re being ridiculous!”
I stood there helplessly watching Madison and Mr. Jones argue at the front door. I wasn't entirely sure what to do or even what to say. I found it all confusing. Gemma. Who was she? Where did she come from? Was Madison right? Was Jones right? I was beginning to think I should have stayed in bed.


“We can’t trust everyone who shows up on our front door!”

“I trusted you.”

“Yeah, but DJ didn’t. He saved our lives, but that didn’t stop him. He questioned us. Watched us. Even camped with us before he even let us set foot on this property. Before he led us to you. If DJ was here…”

“That was different. You were a group. This is one woman!”

“Um…excuse me?” Wade drawled standing in the doorway. He pointed his finger out the door. “What you want me to do with her?”
Jones sighed. “Bring her in. Take her into the kitchen.”

“But tie her up,” Madison added.

“Madison. That’s not how we do things.”

“Oh, so would you like me to give her the grand tour then?”

“No.”

“Then let me handle things.”

Wade shook his head and went back outside. He quickly returned with Gemma. He held both her wrist behind her back and stirred her through the doorway pushing through the two of them. He then glanced over at me.

“Audrey. Come help me for a second.”
I was surprised. It was a miracle he even remembered my name considering he had got it wrong numerous times over the weeks and that’s when he wasn’t calling me ‘girly’. I looked over at Madison searching for an answer for why he needed me, but she shrugged and went back to bickering with Jones.

“Didn’t you hear me? Come on. I don’t got all day,” he snarled causing me to jump and I followed them into the kitchen.

He sat Gemma down in one of the kitchen chairs and stood over her. He then reached in his back pocket and handed me a handgun.

“Cover me,” he said. “Never can be too careful.”

“I…”

“Just point the thing at her and pull the trigger if she tries something.”

“Um…ok.”
Het hen glanced at the hallway and roared, “We got some rope? What the hell I’m supposed to tie her up with?”

Madison answered back. “There’s some rope on the bus. Use that.”

He rolled his eyes and looked over at the stairwell. He smiled. “Tao! Just who I need.”

I looked up to see Tao standing in the archway. He looked at Wade, to me, to Gemma, and back at Wade. His expression a ball of confusion and nerves. His eyes quickly went back to Gemma.

“Who’s she?” he said pointing at her.

Gemma turned around to him smiling. “Gemma. Gemma Ryan. Hello.”

Wade frowned. “Never you mind her. I need you to go get some rope. Should be in the bus”

“But…”

“Go!”

He took one last glance at Gemma and back at me as he walked past. Still looking bewildered. He ran out into the hallway and what I assumed out the front. The three of us were left in awkward silence then. Gemma’s eyes darting here and there, but her same eerie smile never fading.

“I didn’t know they were such strapping young men here,” she cooed winking at Wade. Such big arms and muscles. You work out?“

Wade blushed. "Ma'am…I…”

“Seriously.”

It took everything in me not to gag. Wade, on the other hand, appeared to be flustered. He was bright red now. He felt up his arms and avoided eye contact with her. She giggled and a small smile spread across his face. I rolled my eyes. Wade was falling for it hook line and sinker. What an idiot. Thankfully, Tao came back before Gemma could shower him with any more compliments. He held up the rope and gave it to him. Then he stood back watching. The southern looked conflicted as he stared down at it and back at Gemma but gripped the rope looking serious now.

“Put your wrist behind you,” he said eyeing her hands on her lap. “And sit up.”

“You don’t have to do that if you don’t want,” she said sweetly, but her charms didn’t work this time.

He came up behind her and grabbed her wrist forcefully doing it for her. He wrapped the rope around her wrist and looked up at Tao.

“Go find the others. Tell em’ we have a visitor.”

Tao ran off and hurried up the stairs. As Wade tied her up, I stood in front of her and carefully aimed the gun in her direction. She eyed me smirking.

“You know how to use that thing? I would be careful.”

“I would be quiet if I was you,” I shot back.

“Tell me this. Do you always do what they tell you to do?” she whispered catching me off guard. Her sickening sweet tone sounding more venomous. “I thought you were smarter than that. My mistake.”
"Something wrong?” Wade asked popping up as if he was in a trance. He finished tying up her wrist and came back around to the front. He wrapped the rope around her torso and legs. He looked up at me with genuine concern. “Tell me if so, girly.”

“No. It’s fine.”

“You sure?” He cut his eye at Gemma and grumbled, “You better not be saying nothing weird to her. I’ll gag ya if I have to.”
I smiled and watched him finish up. I then heard two loud voices. I looked up to see it was Nathan and Aaron. They appeared to be arguing about something, but stopped in their tracks and looked to be both trying to make sense of the scene.
“Who the hell is she?” Nathan perplexed beating Aaron to it.

“Audrey, why didn’t you tell me there were more handsome fellas here,” she said grinning at me suddenly. She flashed them the same cheesy grin and winked. “Hi. I’m Gemma. Gemma Ryan.”

They looked at each other and back at us. Both confused as ever. Gemma looked to be both disappointed and annoyed with their reactions. I hid my face chuckling.

“You really should warn us of these things you know,” Arron said dryly.

“Oh, sorry. I didn’t exactly have time to send out invitations,” Wade said sarcastically. “By the way, where’s Tao? He was supposed to tell you. Damn that boy!”

Arron smirked. “Well, no matter. Hmm. Do my ears deceive me or do I hear a slight accent, Ms. Ryan?”
“Oh. I have a slight Scottish accent still. It likes to comes out when around any Scott’s or Brits no matter how long I’ve been in the states. Are you British?”

“I’m from England. Yes. Nice to meet you despite your er…circumstances. Are you hurt? I’m a doctor. Dr. Aaron Pinto to be specific.”

“Ah. A real live doctor. This place is getting better and better by the minute,” she squealed.
“Well, don’t get too happy. You might not be here long,” Madison interjected entering the room with Jones. “Well since you’re here Aaron, does it look like she’s been bitten?”

He felt her forehead and shook his head. "No. Well, there’s no fever at least.”

“Well, I guess we’re safe for now. Maybe we can confirm that later, but now it’s time for some questions.”

“Questions?”

“Yep. Just a few questions.”

Jones frowned. “Ms. Goodwin, please be advised I will cut things short if I feel like things are getting out of hand.”

“I told you I’m just going question her. If everything checks out and she doesn’t pose a threat, then I’ll free her and you can do what you please. Don’t worry.”

“Fine,” he said. He pulled out a seat at the table. “Besides, DJ will be home soon. I’m sure he’ll add his two cents in as well on Ms. Gemma’s fate here.”

“Yeah, Matthew will want to have a say not including the rest of them. Maybe we can even take a vote,” Nathan added. He patted Jones on arm playfully sat down. “Too bad we don’t have any popcorn for this interrogation though.”
“Holy shit. Who’s she?” another voice echoed through the room. I looked up to see Omar. He furrowed his brow. “Something happened?”
Tao then entered the room behind him seemingly out of breath. “Oh, there you go. I was looking all over for you guys.”

Wade scoffed. “Yeah right.”

“Tao. Go outside. Keep watch,” Madison said eyeing him. “Holler if you see someone.”

“But I want to see the action.”

“Tao!”

“Fine,” he moaned. “But who is she really? I want to know.”

“An uninvited guest. Now go!”

He pouted and stomped his way out into the hallway. A few seconds later the front slammed and Madison turned her attention back to us.

“Ok. So everyone. This is Gemma and she literally threw herself on our front steps about an hour ago. I’m about to interrogate her. Have a seat, stand, watch, whatever.”

Gemma gasped in wonderment. “So is this everyone who lives here? Is there more?”

“That’s none of your business! I’m asking the questions here,” Madison spat. She then looked over at me flashing me a smile and winked. “Keep that gun trained on her deputy.”
I nodded almost forgetting I was still holding the thing. I gripped it tighter with my sweaty palms and glanced over at Jones. The man wasn’t a fan of guns, but he seemed to be tolerating it for now. I took aim again as Madison suddenly exit the kitchen. She came back with the chair she was using outside and placed it right in front of Gemma. She sat down with the back of the chair up against her chest. Then she leaned forward with fire in her eyes.
“Who are you really?”

“I told you I’m Gemma…”

“I know that,” she said rubbing her temples. “Ok, how about this? Have you ever been with a group?”

“No. Never. It was just me and my boyfriend,” she said sounding way too cheerful.

“Really? Why do I doubt that? Not that it’s not possible to survive with only one other person, but it’s rare nowadays. Strength in numbers as they say. The dead have certainly gotten that memo at least.”

“I have come across people, but my boyfriend has always maintained we stay to ourselves. Quite silly in my opinion, but he’s always been a loner.”

Madison smirked. “Sound like a real rebel. Who is this boyfriend? What’s his name?”

She paused. “John. What does it matter what’s his name is?”
“Just asking. 'John’ could be still out there though. Can you describe him?”

“Well, he’s blonde, fit, good looking. You know the type right?” she said winking.

“Sure, but it’s not much of a description to go off of either. No recognizable scars or tattoos?”

“No. A tat of some playing cards on his arm.”

“That’s a start. Where’s the last place you saw him?”

“We got split up in the midst of rotters. Remember? Wasn’t exactly taking in the scenery when it happened,” she laughed nervously. She looked around expecting us to join in, but the room remained silent. She shrugged. “I don’t know. I guess a few miles away from here.”

“Well, maybe you can take us to the very spot later. We can also retrieve some of your stuff from the car you were staying in. Hey, maybe we’ll run into him there. He might be alive.”

“I doubt that.”

“You sure have little faith in him. It’s almost as if you hope he’s dead. That if he even exists,” she snorted. “Hmm…I almost forgot. Three more questions for you.”

The woman scowled. “What?”
“How many of the dead have you killed?”

"I don’t know. I don’t count them. Dozens.”

“How many people have you killed?”

“What?” she spluttered. “What kind of question is that?”

“Just answer the question.”

“I..no..no one. Absolutely no one. Who would? Human life is precious,” she said appearing to look insulted. “I know there’s bad people out there, but killing? Heaven forbids!”

“Oh, drop the act sweetheart.”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“Ever heard of the saying ‘Lady Doth Protest too Much?’,” she quipped. Gemma stared at her blankly and she rolled her eyes. “Anyway, I have more questions for you.”
“What? I thought that was it,” the woman said looking as if she had been through the wringer now.

“No. Well, something crossed my mind or should I say, someone? You might know her. The name’s Jade. Heard of her?”

This seemed to spark a genuine reaction. Her eyes grew wide at just the mention of the name and she bit her lip. “Never heard of her.”

“I know when people are lying to me.”

“I’m not lying. I don’t know her. Who is she?”

“You happen to hear the phrase ’we’re watching you’ lately by any chance?”

“What? No. That sounds frightening.”

“Don’t play dumb.”

“I’m quite tired right now. I’ve had a long day and the baby…”

“Now you’re tired,” she jeered. “It’s funny how the baby gets mentioned when it’s convenient.”

“Madison!”

“Jones. I got this!”

“Guys! Guys!” Tao screamed standing in the doorway. He looked as if he had seen a ghost.

Madison shook her head. “Tao. Not now.”

“No. My sister, Matt, everyone. They’re back…”

“Good. It’s about time. It’s almost dark.”

“No! You don’t understand. Something’s wrong. Something happened. Come quick!”

Finally! A new episode. I know. Blame school! I had to read 50 pages and some last week.  >_>
Can’t wait to show you what’s next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative