Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 12: Warning Signs

Warning: Gory image with nude zombie/walker. The naughty bits are covered up. Hopefully, it’s not flagged. 

Note: Matthew is the narrator. It becomes obvious, but I’ll give you a heads up.

Episode 12: Warning Signs
“This is fucking stupid!” Vince spat glaring at me. “It looks like it’s going to rain.”

I rolled my eyes. “I told you we’ll be in and out. And it’s not going rain!”

“It’s going to. It’s getting cloudy,” he mumbled. “And like I said this whole thing is stupid. Like why now?”

“Were you even listening? I said I think it’s best we do this now because this Jade person might come back and take the gas.”

“And I told you I hid it!”

DJ groaned. “Jesus, man! You two argue like an old married couple. Something told me to stay in the house.”

He pushed past us shooting a walker in the head with his crossbow and continued down the road. Nathan remained behind us snickering to himself. The two of us walked on in silence in equally foul moods then. Neither interested in being civil with the other. In fact, if it wasn’t for Nate and DJ we would be at each other throats.

 As we reached the rest stop, I heard DJ gasp and he stopped in his tracks. Me and Vince came up behind him while Nathan practically ran into us staring. The gas station was completely trashed. Shelves that were once inside laid outside now all over the place. Vince’s beloved car was a total wreck with shattered windows and flat tires, but that was only the tip of the iceberg. The most disturbing part of this was the walker on the display that greeted us. Her nude body was nailed to a cross-like stake. She almost looked like a scarecrow as black crows rested on her shoulders. One even pecked at what used to be an eye. The crows flew away as she became aware of our presence. She lunged and bit at the air as she tried to free herself with no prevail. Her hideous face twisted in a grotesque manner as she stared back at us. I backed away feeling sick to my stomach. Something about her. Her short black hair. Her face. It eerily reminded me of Madison.
“Oh hell now. This some bad juju right here, man,” DJ murmured.

“It looks like a warning to me,” Vince said grimacing. “She sort of looks like…”

“No, she doesn’t,” I said breathlessly. “No.”

“Well, I don’t like it,” Nathan said suddenly sounding angry. “Whoever did this is sick.”

“Whoever did this wanted us to see it,” Vince frowned. “Wanted Mary to see.”

“Who?”

“Mary’s the name Madison gave Jade.”

“Well, can we hurry it up and leave,” DJ said nervously. He raised his crossbow and shot the walker in the head. “I would rather not stick around for whoever did this shit. Jade or whoever the fuck did this!”

“Well, you all stay back. I’ll check out the store. If someone here, we need to know before we start gathering up anything,” I said regaining my composure.

“I’m coming with you,” Vince said joining me by my side. “It’s my place. I know where to look.”

DJ groaned. “I’m coming too. I know what happens when you leave the black guy alone in these type of situations!”

“You got Nathan,” I said smirking. “He’s staying too.”

Nathan glared at me in disapproval. “I never agreed to that.”

“No, but I didn’t ask you did I?” I said furrowing my brow. “Besides, I can’t let anything happen to you or DJ. If anything happens to you I’ll never forgive myself and we already know his granddad will kill me if something happens to him. Just stay out here and be the lookout. Is that so hard to do?”

Both men hesitantly, but silently agreed. They sat down on the ground next to the car and we headed for the store. Both on the same page for once and both laser focus. I tightly gripped my ax and Vince brandished his machete. As I stepped towards the front door, I heard Vince call out to me. I looked over to see him staring at the restrooms.

“What?” I whispered. “You need to take a leak or something?”

“No. The door to the men’s bathroom wasn’t open when I left. It was locked.”

I stared at the door, which was ajar now and back at him. “Well, check that out then.”

“But…”

“But what? You scared?”

“No!” He scowled. “Do I look like I’m scared? I got this!”

He headed for bathrooms and I rolled my eyes making my way into the store. The place was in shambles as I expected, but my eyes were immediately drawn upward to the wall facing me. Writing replaced where shelves once stood. I read it aloud staring at the message: “We’re watching you!”
“We’re watching you?” I repeated feeling the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Then I heard Vince scream and I ran full speed out the door. There Vince laid outside just outside the bathrooms with a rather large walker on top of him. His machete just out of arm’s length. Nathan and DJ hurried over to him just as I reached him, but I quickly went into action. I brought my ax down into the walker’s head freeing him. He laid there breathing heavily, but he looked up at me relieved.
“You got this?” I said teasing him.

“The fat bastard tackled me. Charged me like a fucking bull!”

I chuckled. “Yeah, sure.”

He then grabbed the walker and rolled it over. He pointed at his head and a piece of paper was stuck to it. It read: “I.O.U…for the gas. Thanks.”

“Fuck! They took the gas? It’s gone? All of it? I mean you hid it in other places right?”

He groaned. “There’s some in the store, but the majority was here.”

“Well, great hiding place!”

“It was locked with a key! Completely out of sight in this cesspool of a bathroom. How the fuck would I know they would look here of all places? Shit. I don’t even want to go in there at less I have to.”

I looked in the bathroom and it was definitely disgusting. The smell alone almost knocked me off my feet. It was flooded and almost pitch black. Whoever was here was searching high and low.
“How about the store? Find anything?” he asked wearily.

I nodded and helped him up. Then I lead him and the guys to the store. There I pointed at the message and they quietly read it to themselves. Vince shook his head pushing past me and stood outside.

“This day couldn’t get any worse, huh?” I said joining him.

Then as if the gods or mother nature herself heard me, it started to rain. A few large drops hit us and then a downpour suddenly.

“Correction. It can,” I grumbled.
He scoffed. “I told you it was going to rain. Maldito idiota!”

Sorry for the delay. Exam time again, which mean my face nose has to be in the book again. Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative