Friday, February 8, 2019

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 4: I Know You’re There

Episode 4: I Know You’re There
“Good morning, sunshine. About time you got up.”

I rubbed my eyes and peered up to see Vince sitting in front of the store now. Gun in hand and eyes glued to the landscape before him. An open can of peaches sitting on the counter between us.
“Breakfast?”

He turned around looking embarrassed. “Yeah. I was planning to save the can of beans for later. I can try to scrounge up something else.”

“No. We’re getting low I know. It’s fine for now. Have you eaten?”

“Nah. I’ll wait till later. I’ll be fine,” he said turning back around. He then reached in his pocket pulling out a ring of keys and held them up. “You’re going need these I suppose.”

“Thanks. Definitely, need to freshen up. I look like a corpse,” I grumbled taking the bathroom keys.

He smirked. “Well, that’s no different from usual.”

“You’re an ass,” I said playfully shooting him a dirty look as I rose to my feet.

He laughed. “Need a chaperone? Like in case you fall into the toilet or something?”

“No!”

“Then I’ll be right here. Call if you need anything and take your sword,” he said striking a more serious tone. “And Audrey…”

I stopped halfway out the door. I turned to capture his eyes. Sorrowful and deep. He continued, “Maybe we can talk more when you come back.”
I was a bit surprised, but I nodded and smiled. He seemed more lighthearted and approachable today. Maybe something I had said last night had resonated with him.

I made my way to the bathroom just next door. It wasn’t exactly the most hygienic, but we were lucky to have running water and a roof over our heads. I sure didn’t miss our time in the forest. As I passed by a row of mirrors I caught a brief glimpse of myself and cringed. I wondered if my father would even recognize me now. I definitely wasn’t the same girl that I was at the start of this. I went from a slacker playing video games in her room to living in a world I thought was only reserved for video games and movies. I had drawn blood and seen the unimaginable. Would he still think of me as his little girl?

I sat in the stall for a moment contemplating such thoughts. My trips here often allotted me much needed alone time. Sometimes I would spend time thinking while other times I would scribble on the walls of the stall. I pulled out my marker feeling a spark of inspiration then and decided to draw a silly doodle.
As I began, I heard the door open and rolled my eyes assuming it was Vince. Then I heard humming. Feminine sounding humming. I froze.

It was a woman. I was sure of it. I bent down peering from underneath the stall confirming my suspicion as I spotted her high heel boots. She hummed along to a familiar rock song playfully dancing about. She then stopped abruptly and bent down checking the stall next to me.

I immediately sat down on the toilet and put both my feet up as I heard her go down the row. I held my breath when she stopped in front of mine. I glanced at the lock on door thanking the heavens I had chosen to lock it this time. She peered under my stall taking a quick glance and pulled at the door. When she failed to open it I heard her take a few steps and stop. Then she spoke.
“I know you’re there. You can come out now.”

Hmm...that woman looks familiar. ;) Two new episodes next Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative