Saturday, May 8, 2021

Dead On Arrival: Episode 32: Sundown At Ashfield (Part 3)

Episode 32: Sundown At Ashfield (Part 3)

Billy groaned. "I told you to come alone! What the hell?!"

"She's not supposed to be here," I fumed. "She must have followed me! Christ!"

"Yep," she grinned as she sat down beside me. She opened the twinkies and stuffed them in her mouth. Her cheeks budged out much like a chipmunk as she talked. "By the way, you forgot to mention some guy named, Bones visited us last night. And why is Gemma so weird? It sucks Ace lost his daughter, but that doesn't explain Gemma's wacko behavior."


"Oh, God! Were you here the whole time?!" I shrilled. "What the fuck?!"

"So you're Billy?" she smirked ignoring me. She held out her hand to him and they shook hands "I'm Audrey. Sup! The mask I saw earlier. From Naruto, right? How come they call you runt if it's a bear?"

Billy's eyes widen. "You like anime?"

"Yeah. I wish I had a manga to read, but yeah I love that stuff."

"A fellow anime fan. Also a video game fan from what I hear. I thought they all died out by now," he chuckled. "Everyone thinks my mask is a dog. When I tried to tell them where it's from and what it is, it's like I'm speaking a foreign language."

"Oh, Vince zones out when I talk about that stuff too. I know the feeling."

I scoffed. "Um...hey nerds. This conversation is quite riveting, but..."

"Woah! Wait! Are you the girl who has the samurai sword?"

"Yes. How you know?"

"I've sort of seen you before when they put me on surveillance duty once....at your house."

"What?!"

"I know it sounds creepy but...it wasn't my choice," he babbled. He then blushed. "If it makes you feel better, I thought you were super cool. I even gave you a cool name. Samurai. Hey, where is your sword if you don't mind me asking?"

She rolled her eyes and looked back at me. "And this guy is your friend?"

"Nevermind that. I know he's a creep-"

"Hey!"

"Anyway, I wasn't done asking him shit, so can you politely hush!" I growled at her. "So buddy boy, why are they watching us? Why were you put on surveillance duty at our house?!"

"Well, I didn't know it was your house at the time. All I saw was Ms. Audrey here and some woman with short brown hair, but I had no idea they were part of your group!" he cried. "I swear! If I knew I would have warned you sooner."

"Warn us of what?"

"That they plan to take your place from you. If Gemma's there, she's there to spy and fuck with you. If Ace is keeping you alive, he wants to use you. That's got to be it."

"Well, that comforting," Audrey said sarcastically.

"To answer your earlier questions about Gemma and Bones,...um Audrey?"

"That's the name."

"Well, Bones visited you to check on Gemma. Gemma was probably signaling Ace and Co. every night to show everything was fine. Then you tied her up so Bones probably came to check on her when he didn't receive any signal or indication she was fine," he said. "As for Gemma's or Red's deal, I believe she was in an insane asylum at one point."

"You're serious?" I gasped.

"It's not confirmed, but when we found her she was wearing a hospital gown over jeans with a band around her wrist.  The band was pretty worn out but it indicated as such. She was also staying in a burnt-out hospital building as well. She slit the neck of one of our men when we came looking for supplies in the place. It was a big burly guy too. Ace thought it was pretty damn impressive she could take down a guy like that and he took her under his wing. He likes to think he's building some sort of army. I don't know why but people like that fit the mold for him but they do."

"Well, that's even more comforting," Audrey groaned. “Continue. I have to go to the bathroom and this willow tree is looking pretty tempting.”

“Ugh, can’t it wait?”

“No, and don’t look! You and Billy advert your eyes or something.”

“Like anyone would want to look at you anyway!”

She glared at me and stuck her tongue out playfully. She then walked over to the tree and shot us a fleeting look before disappearing behind it. I sighed and turned back to face Billy. The guy looked pretty mortified and covered his face with both hands.

“Not much experience with girls?”

“Huh?” 

“Nothing. It’s getting pretty dark. Going rain.”

He turned his whole body around on the log and continued hiding his face behind his hands comically. "You probably should go then. Night and rain are a recipe for danger. And if Big Red or Gemma as you call her is at your house, it's not safe to leave your people with her. She could be up to anything. Not to mention, what Ace might have planned for you."

I nodded. "Is anything we can do?"

"I'll do my part on the inside. You? Um...well let's see. I can draw you a map of the junkyard. Provide you weapons. Anything to get the upper hand. Then we can try-"

"Enough!!!" I heard a woman shout.

I then heard muffled cries behind me. I slowly looked back to see to my horror, Billy's sister holding Audrey hostage. She had one hand on her mouth and the other aimed a gun at her head. Her face covered by a mask just like before.

"Get up!"

"Sis?" Billy yelped. "What...?"

"Shut up, Billy. Shut your mouth!" she snapped. "Now get up! Both of you!"

We did as she demanded and she took her hand away from Audrey's mouth. She used two fingers to fire off a whistle.

Then more masked figures appeared walking up to us. I looked around and realized we were now surrounded.

Part 4 is the last part for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative