Sunday, August 25, 2019

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 16: What About Grace (Part 1)

Episode 16: What About Grace (Part 1)
Last night had been a turning point for me. For the first time in this godforsaken world, I felt truly alone. These people had welcomed me with open arms and now they couldn’t even look me in the eye. My truth and past had made me an outcast. I could hear Audrey laughing now in the kitchen. She was talking to me now thankfully, but how long would that last? How long before the others convinced her I was just some scumbag thief? She fit here. I didn’t. I don’t think anything I could say now could make me fit.

I passed the kitchen and out the now boarded up door that led out to the backyard. I sat down on the steps. Everyone seemed to be inside enjoying breakfast. Pancakes as usual. Unfortunately for me, I wasn’t welcomed. The first thing this morning I was met with looks of disgust and fear as I walked through the hallways upstairs. Wade looked at me as if I was a monster as he exited the bathroom. Aaron immediately closed his door upon seeing me. He looked as if seen a ghost. Then Lin stared at me looking unsure as we locked eyes on the stairs. Then there was Matthew. He truly hated me now. He peered out from the living room watching me with utter contempt on his face.

In fact, Audrey and Omar seemed to be the only ones left who still liked me or tolerated me at least. Well, those that I could confirm. I hadn’t seen Grace, Mr. Jones, Madison, Tao or Nathan. Not even DJ. I had overhead DJ talking to Jones this morning in the hallway about the corpses. From the sounds of it, he would be spending most of the day taking out any he saw roaming around the premises after what happened last night. I was sort of relieved by this. If he had any thoughts about kicking me out I could at least prepare myself for the blow and hopefully make up a good plea for Audrey to stay.

I groaned feeling absolutely miserable and worn out. The sun was beating down on me and the heat was sweltering today. Summer was definitely making itself known. Luckily no corpses seemed to be around, but nature still thrived. I watched some birds fly over me. I found it fascinating how they had somehow survived in this fucked up world. I had even seen a deer in my travels. I closed my eyes trying to clear my mind taking in the organic sounds around me.
“Hey, Vincey! Breakfast?!”

A very loud and obnoxious voice then startled me. I looked up to see Audrey standing over me with a stupid grin on her face.

“Ahh! Shit! What are you a ninja? I didn’t even hear you. What the hell?”

She giggled and placed her hand on her hip. “Maybe, but aren’t you hungry?”

“No,” I mumbled sitting up.

“You’re lying. Come in and eat something.”

“Nah. I don’t eat where I’m not wanted. And I know I’m not wanted.”

She cocked her head. “What makes you think that?”

“You haven’t seen how they look at me now. They hate me.”

“Wah Wah! They hate meeee! You sound like a kid,” she said mocking me.
I rolled my eyes. “You know I liked you better when you were unconscious.”

“Always the insults with you,” she jested. “Well, continue your pity party out here. I’m going inside. I’ll make sure Madison saves you a plate.

"Yeah, thanks.”

“But Vince…”

“What?!”

A warm smile graced her face. “What you did last night was pretty brave. I’m glad you told the truth.”

I shrugged. “Nothing to it.”

She went back in the house and I leaned back staring up at the sky again. The wind was kicking up making the heat more tolerable. I checked in my pocket for my cigarette. I had been saving one since the gas station. It was stale, but it would do the trick. I stuck the cig in my mouth and dug in my other pocket for the lighter I bummed off of Nathan, but I stopped midway during my search when I heard footsteps. I took the cigarette out of my mouth and glanced over my shoulder to see Grace standing over me now.
She smiled and sat down beside me. I wasn’t really sure how to react to her. We had barely talked since my introduction into the house. We exchanged pleasantries here and there, but we hadn’t had a real conversation. Audrey, on the other hand, had become quite fond of her though. Still, it felt strange sitting next to her and from what I heard I should tread lightly when speaking with her.

“Hey,” I said feeling suddenly nervous. “Something up?”

“Whew, it’s hot. No. Just enjoying the scenery, child,” she said wiping sweat off her forehead. “Besides, I thought you might need some company. You look…troubled.”

“Nah, Ms. Grace. I’m fine. Just…just lost in thought,” I sighed as I fiddled with my cigarette.

She shook her head and took my hands into hers. I turned to meet her eyes and she had the sweetest expression on her face. One of understanding and concern, but I wasn’t convinced she could comprehend what I was going through even if I did tell her. Alzheimer’s had crippled her emotionally and robbed her of the complexities of thought. If I confided in her I assumed I would just upset her, but what she said next astonished me.

“You’re worried about last night,” she said plainly. “You told us about your criminal past and now everyone’s tiptoeing around you like you’re some bad guy.”
I looked at her stunned. She laughed and continued. “I know. I see. I got two eyes. Just because I got Alzheimer’s don’t make me stupid, Mr. Martez. I listen. Now I don’t always understand, but when I do I do,” she said winking. “Now would you like to know what I think of you?”

“Well…uh…”

“I think you have a good heart,” she said now placing one hand on my chest. “I can tell. You know too, but you doubt yourself, but I can tell you you’re no monster. No matter what you’ve done. Your past is only part of your story. The rest is up to you to tell and from the looks of it, you got a lot left to tell. You’re here for a reason.”

“Here for a reason. Maybe I just got lucky,” I thought out loud.

“That’s more than luck. I don’t know what you believe in, but someone or something wants you here and they’re watching over you,” she said quietly. “You’re getting your second chance. We’ll all are and we better not waste it.”
“How you figured that?”

She closed eyes and sighed. “I could sit here like this forever. It’s so nice here, but it’s best I get back to Omar. That man will lose his mind if he doesn’t have breakfast and his morning paper.”

“Ms. Grace. Are you ok?”

She stretched and began climbing to her feet. I rose up immediately and helped her the rest of the way. I took her arm in mine and guided her to the door.

“You got a good heart, Vince. You’re a good man,” she said nodding as I held the door open for her.

I chuckled. “Thanks. I wish everyone else thought the same as you.”

She stopped in the doorway and folded her arms eyeing me suddenly serious now. “They will. They’re just afraid and it’s easier to be afraid nowadays. Also smarter to be cautious.”

I was speechless.

“Besides, according to society, we should be afraid of you. Especially me. A little old lady in the presence of a convict. Heaven forbids”, she smirked. “But I’m not and society no longer exists. Time’s are changing my friend.”

I couldn’t hide how impressed I was with her. I stared at her in amazement. Then I saw her smile slowly fade and her confidence diminish with it. Suddenly she looked confused as if she was looking for something.

“Something wrong?”

“No. Just looking for that darn cat. Ms. Fluffy,” she said looking frantic suddenly. “Also the paperboy hasn’t delivered the paper these past few days. Omar will be so upset.”

“Grace. There’s no newspaper or paperboy, honey. Come on, you need a nap,” Omar said appearing at the doorway beside her. He turned his attention to me. “She been bothering you?”

“No. Not at all.”

“Talking nonsense?”

“Actually not much at all. Everything she said up till now has made the most sense,” I said shaking my head in disbelief.

He first looked at me as if I was crazy, but he quickly smiled and patted me on the shoulder. I watched the two of them enter the house then and suddenly Tao appeared. He poked his head out the door looking nervous. His eyes darting from me to elsewhere.

“Whatsup kid? Something the matter?” I asked staring at him.

He looked around and whispered, “Um…did you really kill people?”

A small laugh escaped my lips. “No.”

“So you’re really innocent?”

“Yeah. Now I’m no saint, but yeah I was.”

“No. I was just wondering,” he said coly as he shuffled on his feet. “Do you have a mugshot?”

I chuckled again. “Tao.”

“What? I mean it’s dope if you do.”

“Tao, go in the house!”

“What? What I do?”

I laughed again hardily. I could barely contain myself. I put my arm around him and guided him towards the door. Carefree. My mind and body feeling a bit lighter now. I hadn’t won over everyone, but this was a start.
For once I felt hopeful, but it was a feeling that would be short-lived. Maybe not so much the hope, but the feeling of ease. An ease that would be lost that very night and replaced with the feeling of utter despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative