Sunday, March 21, 2021

Dead On Arrival: Episode 32: Sundown At Ashfield (Part 1)

Episode 32: Sundown At Ashfield (Part 1)

It was a dreary mess of a day. Only a glimmer of sun peeked through the ominous grey clouds overhead. I didn't need a weather report to know it would probably rain, but I still was going. No time to back out now even I wanted to. I was going.

I snuck out of the house and made my way towards the yellow bus. Omar leaned against it folding his arms. He cut his eye at me but said nothing. I looked around and entered. All was going according to plan. I quickly got dressed in my newly made gear courtesy of Omar and exit.

"Omar, you're a wizard!"

"It's the best I could do with the time I had. Do you think it'll work?"

"It'll work."

He sighed. "I hope so for your sakes."

"Hopefully, I won't need it."

"Need what?" Audrey intruded suddenly appearing in front of our eyes. I jumped and she grinned cheekily. "What are you doing?"

"None of your business. Now get out of here!"

"Why?"

"Because I said so!"

She sighed. "Whatever."

"When I come back, I'll tell you. It just someone- "

"I know. I know. They're watching. I got it. So are you going now?"

I looked up at the sky and frowned. "Yeah. Looks like it's going to rain. I should probably get a head start. You're going be ok?"

"I should be. It's you I'm worried about. You shouldn't go alone."

"Audrey, we talked about this."

"But it's not safe! It could be a trap-"

I shushed her and leaned over whispering. "It's not a trap. I trust the guy. He's saved my ass more than once when he didn't even have to. Even so, I'll be fine. Not the first jam I've been in."

"But..."

"I know. I know. It's not safe. Nothing beyond here is safe, but this place, this house, can be made safer and if it takes a little risk to do that it's worth it," I said.  "Now whatever comes, I'll just have to handle it. I'll be alright. You'll see. I will. I'll be back before you know it. I just need you to stay put and stay quiet for once."

"..."

"Audrey!"

"Fine! Just go!" she fumed. "Go get yourself kill for all I care!"

She stormed off. I called out to her, but there was no use. She ran into the house and slammed the door shut. I stood there annoyed, but not surprised. Honestly, I couldn't blame her. I wasn't practicing what I preached. I told her to stop putting herself in danger and here I was about to walk towards uncertain danger. Maybe a trap like she said. I didn't think the skinny twerp had it in him, but he could be up to something.

"You know she does have a point," Omar said almost reading my mind. He chuckled. "But I'll look after her while you're gone. Give her something to do if I have to. You just take care of yourself out there. Be careful."

"I will," I nodded as I started walking. 

He yelled out to me. "And come on back. Will need you here."

I watched him head back into the house and took one last glance at the place. It was nothing compared to a real home but it was something. Something worth protecting. I sighed, pulled out a map, and pointed to my destination for the day. Ashfield cemetery.

With heavy feet and the wind against me, I made it. It was just as the map said. Off the main road. On a winding side street. At the end of the street, it stood. The only thing the map didn't tell me was the state of decay around me. A cluster of houses once stood on this street. It was probably beautiful back when people lived here, but it was nothing more than caved in shells, ashes, and piles of bricks now with a few corpses wandering about. No human life to be seen. I looked up at the street at the cemetery. It sat on a hill all ominous and foreboding with tall iron fencing surrounding it. I saw some broken and cracked steps leading to his entrance. I climbed them and got a closer look. Weeds and grass had taken over the place. A tree had appeared to have fallen on some of the fencing warping it and bending the metal. I consider climbing up on it and entering through there, but the front gate appeared to be open.

I reached out to open it, but I heard something behind me. I looked back to see two grotesque corpses coming towards me and one small child. I looked down at the child and I gasped. It was a living corpse, but it was a child. A little girl. Gaping wounds covered her face. Blood covered her ragged little dress clothes. I froze just staring at her in amazement and horror. I thought of Mya and felt sick to my stomach. It wasn't her, but she looked to be around the same age. My hand reached for my weapon, but I couldn't. I couldn't shoot her.

She slowly limped over to me, looked up into my eyes, tugged at my sleeve, and open her mouth to bite my hand. Before she could, out of nowhere a hooded figure appeared with a spear.

He stabbed her in the head spattering blood on my face and the small body collapsed to the ground. I stared at her for a moment taking in the horrific sight. I shook my head and looked up at the man as he quickly disposed of the others. His face was covered by a mask. I froze, but I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized what mask it was. Billy.

"You're early," he muttered. He pushed his mask up off his face. His eyes then studied me. "You alright? She didn't get you did she?"

I examined my hands briefly but I knew I was fine. I shook my head no and just stared down at the small body before me.

"You do have a daughter, don't you?" he asked sadly. He came closer staring down at the girl. "It's not her is it?"

"Oh, God no. It's not her. It's just..."

"It reminds you of your daughter."

"Yeah and I've never seen a child one. I wasn't sure if it was even possible."

"It is. It's rare, but I've come across children before. Seeing your first one is always the hardest. Once you see them as rotters rather than kids, then it gets easier," he said solemnly. He then turned to me and smile. "But I'm glad you made it. Come on. I got some snacks and a fire going. Let's talk."

Part 1 of 3 (maybe 4). On to the next part. Already written. Just need pics. >_<

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative