Sunday, January 20, 2019

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 2: Keeping up with the Jones

Episode 2: Keeping up with the Jones
I awoke to the chirping of birds outside my window and the warm sensation of the sun on my skin. I rolled over placing one arm around the woman beside me. She moaned tuning over and I opened my eyes to see her sleeping face. Part of me felt like I was dreaming. I could have laid there forever. Just like this. With Madison Goodwin.
 The notion was tempting, but I knew what was coming and just like clockwork, I heard three knocks on my door.

“Matthew, would you get that already?” Madison mumbled placing her pillow over her head as three more followed.

“Yeah. I got it.”

I rose to my feet and quickly answered pulling the door wide open. There stood DJ, grandson to the owner of the humble abode we now resided in. He stood there smirking with a mop of hair covering his face.

“I ani’t interrupting anything am I?” he said peeking over my shoulder cheekily.
I pushed forward closing the door to as he continued to gawk. “No. What is it?”

“Breakfast ready and Gramps wants to talk to you.”

“That’s fine. Nathan up?”

“Nope. Still, sleep. He had watch duty.”

“Ah, yeah that’s right. Well, I’ll be down. Thank you,” I said backing away back into the room.

“Sure enough,” he said still grinning.

I looked back at Madison who was sitting up now clutching her pillow. “Coffee!” she barked. “I don’t care who gets it! Get me coffee!”

Coffee, breakfast, running water, a bed. Common things were luxuries now. Luxuries none of us no longer took for granted. It was as close to home as one could get here. If it wasn’t for DJ and his grandfather, Luther Jones we would be still stranded. Maybe dead.

I headed down the hall towards his room after freshening up. It was at the end of the hall. Old music records blared from the room. I knocked first and entered.

“Hi, Mr. Jones. How are you today?”

He remained sitting and turned his head the direction he heard my voice. “Matthew, right? Turn that down for me will ya?”

“Sure thing, sir.

"You and your brother. I can tell the difference.”

I chuckled, “For a blind man, that’s pretty impressive since my dad could never tell us apart.”

“I can tell by your voices. There’s a difference, but you’ll be surprised what I can see boy with my other senses,” he said winking behind his dark shades.

I sat down across from him. Wisdom and a lifetime lived etched on his face. Not many would think much of the elderly blind man before me, but he was pretty fascinating. His room alone was a shrine to his accomplishments. Medals of war, photos of a loving family man, degrees. The veteran was something of a marvel.

“Have you eaten yet?”

“Yes, burnt pancakes courtesy of Ms. Lin. Between DJ and Ms. Lin, I don’t know who’s worse,” he said frowning. “But I have more pressing manners.”

“If this is about us leaving, we can pack up soon. Wade is working on the bus. Should be up and running soon.”

“No. Not that. If anything I was hoping you would stay longer. Stay and help us out. I can’t remember the last time this house been so alive.”

“Well, I can’t talk for everyone, but staying awhile would be wonderful. I’m certainly in no rush.”

“Good. It’s DJ who I’m worried about.”

“Why? Has something happened?”

He paused looking troubled and sighed, “If something happens to me he’s going need someone to look after him. Give him guidance. Keep him straight.”

“I’m pretty sure he can handle himself, Mr. Jones. We wouldn’t be here without him.”

“Yes, that true. It’s just without me or his parents he may become lost and he’s been so happy since you came here. He needs people. Good people. Able people,” he said looking over at his cane.

“I don’t know. That a lot of responsibility. Only if he wants…to come with us. That’s what you want right? To leave with us?”

“Yes, but I also want you to help him find his parents.”

Tune in for the next episode, Friday! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative