Sunday, April 21, 2019

Dead On Arrival~ Season 2- Episode 10: Welcome

Episode 10: Welcome
With the weight of the world on my shoulders or in this case the weight of Audrey, I walked along the road towards what they called the quintessential haven. Matthew led the way and Nathan brought up the rear watching our backs nervously. We were losing light and the darkening sky hung over over us menacingly.
Thankfully, the walk between our two locations wasn’t far. We were there before we knew it. We encountered a few corpses on the walk there, but it was a pretty tame compared to some days and I didn’t even have to lift a finger with my new companions handling the dirty work. Regardless, Audrey was my main concern. Ugly ass corpses didn’t scare me. Audrey’s head injury and silence did.

“We’re here,” Matt shouted back to me as we near the haven they called home.

We walked up the driveway and there stood a pretty decent house. Not abandoned like most houses nowadays. I smiled not even meaning to as it was kind of sight for sores eyes. Then a young little black dude came running out the house. He looked surprised and headed for us.

“Hey. Sup. What’s going on?” he asked addressing Matthew. “Are these the people you were talking about?”

“Yeah. This is Vince and this is Audrey. She got hurt in the…um scuffle we had,” he said gesturing to us. “Everything good now.”

“That’s good to hear, but what we going do about her?”

Then two other people came running out the house. A dark skin dude and a chubby guy with a douchey mustache. Much like the young guy they seemed pretty stunned. They looked at each other and back at me. A hint of suspicion flickering in their eyes.

“Omar. Wade. This is Vince and we need help with Audrey here, ” Matt said approaching them. “Help him out will ya?”

They both agreed hesitantly and came over to grab Audrey. I backed away feeling unease at first, but I sighed and let them take her. Each taking her arm and holding her up. I watched them carry her off up to the porch.

“Take Audrey up to our room please,” Madison yelled before they disappeared into the house.
“I didn’t agree to that!” Matthew groaned.

She smiled. “No, but I did.”

“But where are we going sleep?! he asked sounding genuinely upset as she slinked off into the house. "What the hell?!”

“Looks like you’re rooming with me in the living room,” Nathan joked putting his arm around him as he looked less than pleased.

The young dude from before then turned his attention to me. He stuck out his hand. “Sup man. My name’s Derrick, but most people call me DJ. Welcome.”

I shook it and nodded. “Nice to meet you.”

“So I would like to talk to you. Come in the house and we can talk in the living room.”

“But Audrey…”

“Your girl will be fine and you can see her as soon as we finish.”

I looked over at Matthew and he nodded reassuring me. DJ then led me through me a hall and into a living room. He gestured for me to sit down on the couch and he sat next to me.

“I want to ask you some questions if you don’t mind,” he said quietly. “Three questions.”

“Go ahead. Shoot,” I said leaning back.
He leaned in toward me. “How many biters have you killed? How many people have you killed? Why?”

“What kind of questions is that?” I asked perplexed.

“Just answer them. The best you can.”

“Well, I’ve lost count and technically I’ve killed only one person if you don’t count the other two…”

“Then three then. Interesting,” he said shifting himself on the couch. “Why?”

“I was getting to that. The first man I killed didn’t die by my hands. He was chasing after me and trying to kill me. I cut his ankle and he fell victim to corpses.

"Corpses? Is that what you call them? Walkers. Corpses. Cadavers. Me and my Gramps call them biters, so I guess we’re no better”, he laughed. “Go on…”

“So like I said I was defending myself and it was the corpses or ‘biters’ who got him. Same with another guy except I knew him. His… his name was Mark. He became a threat and we fought. I almost killed him. Beat him to a pulp, but I let the corpses kill him thanks to Audrey. It’s not something I like to remember.”

“How about the guy you did kill? Self-defense too?”

“Yeah. He tried to kill us. Me and Audrey. The first guy I spoke of was one of his men. Him and the rest of his men burned down Audrey’s shelter. Even then I try to let him live, but he still tried. I ended killing him. Stabbed in the chest when we collided. It’s another bad memory I would like to forget.”

He shook his head and stood up. “I’m sorry you went through that bro.”

“Well, did I pass? It was a test right?”

He smirked. “Yeah, it was. You just about pass.”

“Then how about you? How many have you killed? Humans and corpses?”

“Can’t nail down a specific number for bitters, but humans? One and I’ll save that story for another time. Now how about we see your girl?”

I got up and followed him into the hallway. There he told me to wait and he disappeared into the kitchen. It was then four curious individuals suddenly appeared staring at me. An Asian woman, a young Asian dude, and the two guys from before who carried Audrey into the house.

“Hi…,” I said feeling awkward all the sudden.

The chubby guy scoffed in a southern accent. “I told Matthew to get supplies. Not freeloaders and more mouths to feed!”

“Wade. Seriously. Do you have to be an asshole to everyone?” the Asian chick spat. She then whispered, “Besides, he looks dangerous.”

“Um…I can hear you, you know.”

“Oh, I’m just kidding,” she said smiling looking nervous. “Vince right? Well, I’m Lin and the guy behind me is my brother, Tao.”

The black guy chuckled. “Don’t worry about her. Name’s Omar and my wife, Grace is upstairs. You’ll meet her soon.”

“I look forward to it. Anybody else?”

“Well, you met Matthew, Nathan, Aaron, Madison, and DJ of course”, Lin said pondering to herself.

“You just got to meet the big guy upstairs,” Omar added.
“Me,” a voice boomed entering the hall. They all turned revealing an old man on a cane. He chuckled. “I’m that big guy upstairs, but not the one you think. Are you Vince?”

“Yep. It’s him,” DJ chimed in joining us at the kitchen door. He walked over to me and handed me a coke can. “Already questioned him. He’s good.”

The old guy smiled. “Well, I’m Luther Jones. We have much to talk about, but for now, I welcome you.”

“Um…thank you,” I said feeling a loss for words.

“Now that’s over with, follow me. She’s upstairs. First door on the right,” DJ said clasping my shoulder. “I’ll take you.”

He guided me up the stairs with the residents of the house staring back at me. When we reached Audrey’s room, he smiled and gestured me for me to open it. I hesitated feeling nervous, but I slowly turned the knob and opened it. To my relief there she laid in bed moaning, but awake.
“Vince is that you? God, my head hurts. Where are we?”

I forgot how annoying it is to pose a lot of sims in a scene. Remind me to kill everyone and have one character. Kidding. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative