Saturday, November 4, 2017

Dead On Arrival: Episode 20: The Plan (Poll included- Vote Now!)

Episode 20: The Plan

“The only clue you got was that the code is a birthday? How are we suppose to figure that out?” I asked frustrated as I faced my brother.
After our eye-opening night, we stood now outside in what they called the yard. A fenced off concrete area baking in the sun behind the building. It was simply a false sense of freedom I likened to recess, but it was more freedom than what we had inside. We could talk about plans and ideas here without the guards listening in. Not to say there weren’t guards around, but they seem more focused on the walkers outside the gate than us or any talk about codes.


“Look. I don’t know, but I could tell from his body language that was a clue.”

“Body language? Are you serious?” I said trying hard to remain calm. “Either way it could be anyone birthday. Someone that’s long dead even. That’s if it’s birthday even.”

“It is a birthday and like or not it’s what I got!”

“Which is nothing!” I snapped feeling a rush of annoyance again. “So what are you going to do? Do you plan on drinking some more with your boyfriend while you gossip about birthdays?”

“I did more than you did with your girlfriend last night!”

“Girlfriend?” I heard a confused voice say behind me. I turned around to see Madison folding her arms and furrowing her brow. I gasped turning bright red and Nathan burst out laughing.

I stuttered stumbling over my words, “He was kidding. We weren’t even talking about you….well we were, but not in that way. Not that you’re not worth talking about. I mean you’re great…”

I watched her face go from confused to holding in laughter. She waved her hand for me to stop as a giggle escaped her lips. The sun beaming on her radiant face making me all the more uncomfortable and embarrassed.

“Smooth move, Matty,” Nate jested slapping me on the back.

I lifted my foot and stomped his causing him leap back in pain. His face turning as red as mine. “You should get that foot checked out. Maybe they got some fungicide for it”, I jeered back muffling my laughter.

“Maybe you can go with me. Have yours checked out too. Maybe unlodge the foot in your mouth while you at it,” he mumbled shooting me a dirty look. “Well, I see Lin over there. I think I’ll say hi. Have fun.”

He winked at me and headed over towards them limping slightly. I almost wondered if I should stop him from making a fool of himself with Lin, but Madison grabbed my attention again as she stood beside me smiling.

“Matty?” she laughed.
“It’s a family nickname. Well, mostly Nate just calls me that. It’s annoying,” I said trying to regain my composure as I leaned on the wall behind us. “Um…but I’m OK with you calling me that if you want.”

“Nah. I’ll stick with Matthew or Matt…for now if you don’t mind, "she smirked leaning beside me. "So…he’s the only family you got left?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re lucky. Most don’t have that….like me. God, I miss my sister sometimes.”

“Oh, she…”

“She died. Like what happens to everyone nowadays.”

“We had a sister. She also died. Right when this happened,” I lamented.

“I’m sorry,” she said touching my shoulder.

“I’m sorry too.”

I sighed. “That woman in quarantine. I can’t help, but feel guilty. Seeing her get bit reminded me of my sister actually. The same terror. The same sadness in her eyes. I should have done something. Something more than I did.“

“Like what? It’s not like you could have predicted what would happen. You did what you could. You did what was right. You really think Sarah would have been OK with you murdering her fiancé when there was a glimmer of hope for her. No. You did the right thing and I’m sure you did all you could for your sister."

She then turned to me smiling,  “So you have nothing to be guilty about. In fact, your actions in quarantine are what earned you my trust.”
I nodded trying not to turn bright red again as her eyes burrowed into mine. I hadn’t expected her words to confront me, but they did. I felt like a weight had been lifted off me. Just like in quarantine she managed to soothe my wandering mind again. Suddenly I felt the urge to talk to her more. To learn more about her, but I soon realized I would have to wait. Wade began waving frantically at us from the other side of the yard. Calling to us trying to get our attention.

“Looks like Wade wants us to come over. Probably to talk about the plan,” she said rolling her eyes. "The plan? The code thing?“

"No. The escape plan and where to go after this. We discussed it in quarantine before you came in.”

I followed her confused, but interested. No plan had been mentioned during breakfast. The conversation had been mostly dominated by last night’s discoveries. Both the enlightening and morbid details of it all. I was actually starting to feel a kinship with the group, but now I would have to learn of this “plan”.

“No. No. I’m not including the Wonder Twins into this. No way!” Wade growled glaring at me as Madison and I joined the group. “Take your brother and fuck off.”

“Oh, Wade give it rest! This isn’t some exclusive club,” Madison huffed.

“No, but are we going let everybody and their brother in on this? We don’t have the room.”

“We can probably fit them on my yacht,” Lin cooed at Wade.

“Cool! You have a yacht? ” Nate exclaimed putting his arm around her shoulder. “Maybe one day you can show me.”

“The only thing I’m going show you is my fist if you don’t get your hands off of me!”

Wade snorted, “I’m not getting on that floating monstrosity you call a boat! No way! We’re staying on the road and that’s final!”

“Didn’t know you knew such big words, Wade. It’s impressive,” Lin spat staring at him intensely. His eyes also burn into hers and matching looks of annoyance spread across their faces, but Madison glare stopped both of them in their tracks.

He sighed rubbing his temples, “Fine. The weirdo and his brother can come along, but you’re in charge of them Madison. They’re not my problem. If they become a problem, it’s on you.”

“Great! Now can we get to why we’re having this meeting?!”
Lin started turning back to Wade, “The plan is once we bust out of here we plan to head for the yacht my family owns. Then we set sail for the islands where the dead population should be scarce and if I’m wrong we have the boat. The dead ones can’t swim right?”

“Oh for fuck sakes Lin! That’s your silly plan!” Wade growled. “My plan is to stay on the freaking road on solid ground and keep riding till we get to Washington where I hear they may have a cure. We would be riding in style too on my eighteen-wheeler. Plenty of coverage and power to get through the dead ones!”

“A cure? You believe that guy?! So stupid!”

“You’re stupid!”

Decision: Guys! Shut up. Let’s see what our new friends think. So what’s the ideal plan boys? Lin’s boat trip to the high seas and the islands? Or Wade’s eighteen-wheeler on the road to Washington?”

Vote at >>pollmaker! All votes are anonymous at less you comment.

Note: This is a major decision. Whatever you choose may drastically change the story.

P.S Omar hasn’t been forgotten. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative